M. icers' Hurley '08 collects preseason honors

As the men's hockey team prepares to hit the ice in a few weeks, defenseman Sean Hurley '08 is one team member the Bears will rely on heavily in the upcoming season. Hurley, who will captain the Bears this season, was unanimously selected to both the Coaches' Pre-Season All-League Team and the Media Pre-Season All-League Team.

Last year, Hurley was named Second Team All-ECAC and First Team All-Ivy, after scoring 24 points during the season, good for Brown's second-highest total. Hurley also led the Bears in power-play points, recording 16, and shared the team lead in power-play goals, with a total of seven.

Hurley has already made his mark in Brown hockey history, as he is currently eighth on the career list for goals by a defenseman and ninth for season goals by a defenseman. He should add to those marks this season. If Hurley scores five more points, he will break into Brown's top 10 for career points by a defenseman, and if he records two more assists, he will place in the top 10 for career assists by a defenseman.

Brown was ranked 11th in both the Coaches' Pre-Season Poll and the Media Pre-Season Poll. The Bears' first game competition will take place on Oct. 26, when the Yale Tournament begins.