New greenery greets students on Thayer

Thayer Street gained a new, leafy canopy over the summer as part of an improvement program that has already lead to new crosswalks and refurbished sidewalks along the College Hill thoroughfare.

The Thayer Street Improvement District, a local district management authority the University participates in, funded the planting of 30 trees along the street - from the intersection of Thayer and Bowen streets south to Waterman Street - this summer, said Michael Chapman, vice president for public affairs and University relations.

The trees are one aspect of the Thayer Street Improvement District's ongoing capital improvement program, which has so far included the replacement of sidewalks along the street and new, patterned crosswalks.

The University, the city of Providence and the 10 largest property owners on Thayer Street banded together nearly four years ago to create the district management authority, which has special powers typically reserved for government, such as the power to tax, maintain public utilities, construct public infrastructure and perform landscaping.

The Providence City Council approved the DMA in 2006, allowing commercial property owners on the street to levy a voluntary tax of up to 5 percent on themselves to renovate and maintain Thayer. The DMA board is responsible for setting the exact level of the extra tax, allocating funds and managing individual projects in addition to creating an overall plan for revitalizing Thayer Street.

The city and the University split the $800,000 cost of the redevelopment project, Chapman said. The DMA's tax revenue will fund maintenance of the improvements, which costs about $80,000 annually.

For Ryan Wittlinger '10, the arboreal additions offer a new reason to use Thayer to get to classes.

"It takes away the sort of city feel, gives it more of a comfortable, suburban mentality," Wittlinger said. "I like trees. More trees is always a plus, I think," he added.

The new trees, which Chapman said were planted during June and July, seem to have been noticed by few students so far.

"I was here for the summer, so I saw a lot of the work going on, but no trees," said Shane Reil '09.

Alexandra Katich '09 said she noticed a number of new stores on Thayer Street this semester, but no new trees.

Buddy Farnham '10 agreed, noting that the other improvements have been more eye-catching. "All I've really noticed are the sidewalks and the painted things on the crosswalks," he said.

According to Chapman, DMA activities in the future will include hanging planter baskets along storefronts and meeting to address the annual budget.

"One of the priorities of the Thayer Street management authority will be a consolidated marketing plan and events on the street. The marketing plan will draw shoppers and restaurant-goers to the street," Chapman said.

"I think every college has a responsibility to the community to improve the area, and I think Brown especially does because we pride ourselves on being hands-on, and not just a closed campus," Katich said.

For now, however, many Brown students don't see themselves shopping or eating on Thayer more frequently than in the past.

"I go to Thayer pretty often, but I don't think (the trees) would really have that drastic an impact. I mean, I would be more likely to walk down that particular street, but I don't think it would have much of an impact," Wittlinger said.

"I think I just shop on Thayer because it's convenient for stores and stuff for (Brown students)," Katich said.