Staffing increased at campus social events

Recent on-campus social functions - such as the College Hill Kick-Off and Alpha Epsilon Pi's Body Chemistry party - have seen an increased number of professional event management employees assisting with the events.

The increased staffing is a result of the March 8, 2006, report by the Ad Hoc Committee to Review Social Events Policy and Procedures.

The report included other policy changes, such as an additional weekend event manager and the establishment of clearer distinctions between the roles of Department of Public Safety officer and student event manager.

The company providing the professional event staffing, Green Horn Management, has also been used at athletic events, as well as at last year's Spring Weekend.

"One of the things outlined in the report is that students are by and large good event planners but not good event managers," said Ricky Gresh, director of student activities.

GHM helps students improve their management skills and assists in the operation of social functions, Gresh said.

"They create a better environment for party managing, since you know you have a professional fallback," said Steve Beckoff '08, chair of Greek Council.

The entryways and the interior of an event are the responsibility of the student event managers, while Department of Public Safety officers patrol the outside and are available in the event of an emergency.

"It's easier to control crowds, because (GHM personnel) do look like adults instead of kids, so they have that intimidating factor," Beckoff said. "At the same time, (they are) not in uniform and aren't law officers, so they're not as intimidating as DPS."

The report also suggested more strictly enforcing event entrance policies - such as prohibiting intoxicated students from entering an event in an attempt to reduce "pre-gaming," or binge drinking before attending a social event.

The report was the result of several events during the fall of 2005. On Nov. 12, 2005, more than two dozen students required emergency medical attention at Queer Alliance's annual Sex Power God party. The previous night, a melee on the Main Green ended with shots being fired.

While Green Horn Management is involved in the execution of event management plans, students are still fully in control of the event planning, Gresh said, adding, "What happens inside the event, students can still own."

He also said students often ask for professional support, partly because of a lack of student volunteers. The use of GHM employees enables students to enjoy themselves at the events they worked hard to organize, Gresh said.

"(GHM is) one of the pieces in place to help students have social events but also to have more fun at social events," he added.