W. golf plays well, but takes ninth at Yale Invitational

The women's golf team shone at first, then stumbled this weekend, playing well on the first day of the Yale Invitation only to finish ninth in the 15-team field after day two.

Captain Blythe Crane '08 led the 83-player field with a two-over par 73 on day one, which helped put the Bears in fifth place. Though the positive momentum did not carry over to the second day as much as the players had hoped, the team still pulled off the ninth-place finish, just five strokes behind the sixth-place finisher. Crane finished 14th individually.

Head Coach Danielle Griffiths said Crane's first-day performance represented her true ability.

"On the golf course, everyday is different. Blythe led the field at 73 the first day ­- that is the type of player she is. She is one of the best players in the league and will continue to be a top performer for the year," Griffiths said.

Sarah Guarascio '11 led the Bears with an 82 on the second day, finishing with a two-round score of 166.

Guarascio, Julia Robinson '11 and Susan Restrepo '11 are the three new additions to the team who have made solid contributions as regular players at each tournament. Robinson also shot a two-round 166 with an 83 each day. Restrepo came in at 168 (82-86).

"They have been playing very consistently throughout the tournaments. They know they will be playing in every tournament and stepped up to the challenge to help the program," Griffiths said.

All three rookies praised Crane and Holly Snyder '09, the only other upperclassman, for their positive attitude and leadership.

"I was a little nervous at the first few tournaments, but the coach and the upperclassmen took the intimidation and pressure from me," Robinson said. "They are always positive and pushing us in a good way."

When Crane finished the last hole at the end of the first day, her teammates were able to watch it and cheer her on.

Most players said they were somewhat satisfied with the results of the tournament. Restepo said she would have performed better if she had stuck to her game-plan.

"My performance was solid on the first day. The second day, I made a few errors because I didn't stick to the strategy. In the future, I'll play more conservatively," Restrepo said.

For Griffiths and her team, this year is a stepping stone in building the women's golf program. The team, which struggled last year, is consistently finishing in the middle of the pack as it plays against more competitive teams.

But Griffiths said the team is very competitive and is improving their scores at each tournament.

The Bears will have two weekends off before their next tournament at Lehigh University, Oct. 20-21. They will be playing against Northeast colleges as well as Ivies.