Frisc takes home the gold - twice

Students may complain about the aesthetics of campus libraries, but the Friedman Study Center in the Sciences Library can now defend its design as a "Trend Setter" with "High Marks" in Rhode Island Monthly's 13th annual Design Awards.

The study center received gold rankings in both the commercial interior design and commercial construction/renovation categories in the magazine's November issue. The magazine noted the Friedman Study Center's "jolts of vibrant color and contemporary furnishings" and judges commented on the "high level of organizational strategy."

The three judges, Kiel Moe, assistant professor at Northeastern University's School of Architecture, architect Anthony Piermarini and interior designer Nancy Stracka, gave a gold, silver and bronze award in each of five categories.

Brent Lang '04, a communications and marketing specialist for the University Library, told The Herald he is pleased with the award and the study center's success. "We think it's fabulous because it's such an exciting space and environment for students to study and socialize and a vibrant new area," he said.

"And obviously if you take a look at it, it's always busy," Lang said. He added that about 121,000 card swipes have been recorded at the SciLi in the months of September and October of this academic year.

The Friedman Study Center opened in January following a $5 million renovation funded by a gift from Susan Pilch Friedman '77 P'08 and Richard Friedman '79 P'08.