Dark and uplifting holiday musicals offer fairy tales, Jesus

Those seeking to escape pre-exam worries this weekend might try a night at the theater. Two Brown musicals, "Elsewards" and "Godspell," will debut on campus this weekend, joining Trinity Repertory Company's "A Christmas Carol" and "Memory House" playing downtown.

"Elsewards" - the 72nd original musical from the Brownbrokers - is based on the fairy tale "Hansel and Gretel" by Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm and will run Dec. 6 to 9 at Stuart Theatre. The book and lyrics were written by Jessie Hopkins '08 and the music was composed by Jerzy Fischer '08.

The show, directed by Albert Huber '09, is described as "dark, absurd and uncanny" by the Brown Theater Web site. Set in an "urban forest," the fairy tale centers around privileged 16-year-old Harold Harrow and his stepsister Gretchen, who cross paths and bond on the streets of Elsewards after leaving Hotel Maudlin.

Brownbrokers was founded in 1935 and produces a student-written and directed musical each year for the Brown Theatre Season.

This weekend will also see the debut of Musical Forum's production of "Godspell" by John-Michael Tebelak, running from Dec. 7 to 10 in the PW Downstairs Space. The show, directed by Karin Freed '09, musically directed by Alex Peyser '09 and choreographed by Patrick Pangan '09.

"I think of (Godspell) as a celebration of love and life and community," said Freed, adding that she proposed the show to Musical Forum because it celebrates the things most important to her. She called the musical "exciting, vibrant and moving at the end."

This staging of "Godspell" will integrate the audience with the production as much as possible, with action happening in the audience, Freed said.

"Godspell," which originally opened off-Broadway in 1971, depicts a series of stories mostly from the Gospel of Matthew. In Freed's production, the roles of Jesus and Judas will be played by Lee Taglin '10 and Mike Williams '10 respectively. All cast members sing at least one solo, Freed said.

Musical Forum is a completely student-run production group that produces two musicals a year, Freed said. They also produce several cabaret nights each semester.

For those willing to go farther afield, Trinity Repertory Company is staging its annual production of "A Christmas Carol." The Charles Dickens' classic, adapted by Adrian Hall and Richard Cumming and directed by Fred Sullivan, Jr., will run until Dec. 30. It tells the tale of the bitter Ebenezer Scrooge - a role shared by Brian McEleney and William Damkoehler - finding redemption after a series of ghostly Christmas Eve visits.

Trinity's other production, "Memory House" by Kathleen Tolan, will run through Jan. 6. The production, directed by Curt Columbus, takes place on New Year's Eve and focuses on Maggie - a woman whose professional and romantic lives have foundered - and her 18-year-old daughter in the process of applying to college.

Whether seeking an uplifting holiday classic or twisted musical fairy tale, the current theatrical offerings include something for everyone looking for an entertaining distraction this weekend.