New year brings new police commander for District 9

When Lt. John Ryan walked into Kennedy Plaza on Monday, he was greeted by men and women whom he had seen on a daily basis when he was posted as sergeant there. Some shook his hand, and some hugged him. Some still called him "Sarge;" some congratulated him on his promotion earlier this month. A teenage boy told Ryan he misses him.

Two weeks ago, Ryan left downtown to replace Lt. Paul Campbell as Commander of Providence Police District 9, which includes Brown, the Rhode Island School of Design and much of the East Side. Campbell was promoted to a detective lieutenant.

"(Ryan) brought a mixture of human compassion and enforcement to police work here," said Bobby Zabinski, a patrolman and one of Ryan's oldest colleagues at the Plaza.

Zabinski said Ryan was able to form relationships with people coming to Kennedy Plaza, many of whom suffer from alcoholism, drug addiction or mental illness.

"You've got to establish a relationship with these people. It takes time to understand their problems," he said. "(Ryan) is outstanding. He put a stamp on this place."

Despite his new office at the Brook Street substation and an unmarked car, Ryan said his new job as commander is in some ways more challenging than his job managing Kennedy Plaza.

A Warwick native and University of Rhode Island graduate, Ryan said his biggest concern is that "no one (in his district) gets victimized."

He said he will seek to increase communication with the Department of Public Safety so that all the officers are "on the same page."

"(Lt. Ryan) will be an asset to the district," said Mark Porter, chief of police and director of DPS. "I look forward to working with him."

Porter said he hopes to collaborate with Ryan to organize joint-training programs for DPS and Providence Police Department officers to "enhance our emergency response."

Legacy and responsibility

Ryan, who spends five to six hours driving around the district everyday, said he is currently trying to catch people drawing graffiti on sidewalks and street signs. But apart from being responsible for the safety and well-being of residents and students, Ryan will also face the challenge of living up to his predecessor's legacy.

When Lt. Paul Campbell was appointed head of District 9 in April 2005, the back wall of the Providence Police Department's substation on Brook St. was bare.

Today, the sky-blue wall has a large PPD badge in the center, flanked on either side by DPS and RISD police badges. The words "Working in Partnership to Serve the Community" are painted above the badges.

"I thought I'd better do something for the morale of my men," said Campbell, who hired an artist to paint the wall and is "very proud" of it.

According to Campbell, the violent crime rate in District 9 dropped 52.9 percent, from 51 violent crimes in 2006 to 24 in 2007.

Campbell said the drop in crime came from putting more police officers on the street who are "more engaged" with the community.

"It's a safer neighborhood to live and work in, to go to school in," he said, adding that he would like to see further reductions in burglaries, graffiti and theft from motor vehicles.

William Touret, president of the College Hill Neighborhood Association said Campbell was "very successful" in his efforts to improve the quality of life on College Hill.

Campbell was also instrumental in the enactment of a law requiring motorcyclists to park only in designated areas, opening up more parking space for other visitors to Thayer Street, The Herald reported on Sept. 20, 2007.

By controlling the motorcyclists' movement, Campbell also helped reduce noise pollution on College Hill, said Susan Hardy, CHNA treasurer.

"He was always out and about, always getting to know the community on a first name basis," she said. "I remember him walking down the street, talking to shopkeepers, doing research before taking action. It was really amazing."

Hardy said though she has not met Ryan yet, she is confident that he will continue Campbell's work.

"Lt. Campbell planted the seed. With every new person there is reinvention," she said. "(Ryan) will bring his own special way of unifying and working with the community of the College Hill neighborhood."

Campbell said policing in a district with "two great universities" is "different" from policing other districts because officers are responsible for the safety of "people from all over the world."

But he said he is confident that he is leaving the district "in good hands."

"(Lt. Ryan) can talk to people, lead people, listen to them," he said. "He has all the qualities it takes to be a good district commander in District 9. He's a good man."

Campbell also said Brown students are generally law-abiding and "there's no trouble outside of some loud parties."

"Brown and RISD students are good kids," he said. "I know many by face and name. When I walk into Spats on a Friday night, they come up to me to say hi."

Campbell, who will continue monitoring crime in District 9, said he is enjoying his new role as detective lieutenant. "It's nice to put a coat and tie on and work up in the detective's division on some high profile investigation," he said.

But Campbell said he does miss wearing a uniform. Though he has put most of his uniforms away, he has left one still hanging in his closet.

"Just in case," he said.