Giants beat Patriots, students revel anyway

Sunday night the New York Giants upset the New England Patriots, 17-14, behind a strong defensive effort and a gutsy performance by quarterback Eli Manning. Manning, whose brother Peyton won Super Bowl XLI with the Indianapolis Colts last year, threw two touchdown passes, including a 13 yarder to receiver Plaxico Burress with 35 seconds left. The Brown campus remained festive all night, even once the home-town team lost, as Giants fans emerged and could be seen high fiving and chest bumping each other.

Brown students, despite living in Patriots country, seemed divided about the game. The brothers of Delta Tau, watching the game on a projection screen, were up off their seats after every big play. When the Giants' Manning fumbled the ball in the second quarter, half the room erupted in cheers. When a teammate recovered seconds later, the other half roared back. Delta Tau brother and Giants fan Sean Kotkin '09 seemed pleased with Manning and had confidence in his team, but wasn't impressed with half-time act Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

"The half-time show wasn't too good - nothing memorable," Kotkin said.

Down the hall, Sigma Chi set up couches, five televisions and a projection screen for the big game. The fraternity also hired two exotic dancers and supplied beer out of an ice-filled garbage can. Guests were encouraged by Sigma Chi members to throw dollar bills at the dancers throughout their performance, which lasted the duration of the official half-time show. The show was an "eleven out of ten on the enjoyment scale," said Jeremy Harper '11, a guest at the party.

Sigma Chi President Matt Bubley '09, when reached on the phone, declined to comment on the party.

Elsewhere on campus, Patriots fans prepared for a history-making victory. At the Ivy Room, where most patrons seemed uninterested in the game, Sara David '11 feared the worst. "There's going to be a riot if (the Patriots) win. My roommate is going to flip her (expletive)," David said. Miami resident Paul Ingelmo '11 said he would "welcome a Patriots undefeated season" as punishment for his hometown Dolphins for their poor season. The 1972 Dolphins still remain the only undefeated team in National Football League history.

Keeney Quadrangle, quiet for much of the night, got very loud late in the 4th quarter as the Giants' Manning escaped from a heavy pass rush, scrambled left and completed a 32-yard pass to little-used receiver David Tyree. As Tyree successfully caught the ball, securing it against his helmet while being tackled, Giants fans could be heard, and in some cases seen, celebrating in the hallways. After the play, Matt Sudfeld '11, a receiver on Brown's football team who predicted a Giants victory before the game, ran down the hallway to taunt his roommate, a rabid Patriots fan. The play set up the Manning's touchdown pass, which gave New York the lead for good.

After the game, the streets of College Hill were filled with New York jerseys and "Go Giants" chants, but New England fans had not disappeared just yet. A few pro-New England patrons remained at Spats Restaurant and Bar on Angell Street after the game, most of whom were hugging and shaking each other's hands. On Thayer Street, one Patriots fan could be overheard telling another to "burn the jersey" he was wearing.

If Patriots fans at Brown cannot take comfort in the Boston Red Sox' World Series victory or Patriots' QB Tom Brady's Most Valuable Player award, perhaps they can be proud of Giant linebacker Zak DeOssie '07. He tackled New England kick returner Lawrence Maroney on the kickoff after New York's final touchdown, ensuring New England would start with poor field position and made a hero out of DeOssie.