Gov. Carcieri '65 and wife attend anti-abortion rally

Gov. Donald Carcieri '65 and his wife showed their support for the anti-abortion movement by attending a Jan. 30 rally inside the State House.

The rally was organized by the Rhode Island State Right to Life Committee "in commemoration of the anniversary of Roe v. Wade" - the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion at the federal level - "and the babies that were aborted since that time," said Rita Parquette, executive director of the committee.

"One of our primary focuses is to change public policy regarding pro-life issues and legislations," Parquette said of the annual rally.

But the governor's attendance at the rally was meant to demonstrate his solidarity with the anti-abortion movement, rather than "push specific legislation," Carcieri spokesman Jeff Neal told the Providence Journal in a Jan. 31 article. Neal could not be reached for comment for this article.

Carcieri and his wife, Susan, are well-known opponents of abortion..

The Carcieris "have been outspokenly and brazenly proud of their pro-life background and do everything to enhance that cause," said State Senator Rhoda Perry, who said she is the chair of the state Senate's pro-choice caucus..

"Any bill that is 'pro-life' that passes both House and Senate does not have to worry about gubernatorial veto," Perry said. "It makes a big difference to have an executive who is, in my opinion, anti-choice."

One bill, dubbed the "Women's Right to Know Act," has been introduced repeatedly - in 2001, 2004 and 2005, according to the Web site of Planned Parenthood of Rhode Island Action Network. The bills, which require women to undergo a 24-hour waiting period and to review information about abortions before undergoing the procedure, have all died in House Judiciary committees, the Web site said.

"I have been very vociferously against that bill, and have given a very negative oration concerning the merits of that bill whenever it opens on our side," Perry said. "It's absolutely unnecessary. (Women) know their menstrual period, they know when they're pregnant, they inform themselves and do not need a 24-hour waiting period."

City Councilman Cliff Wood was also not surprised by the governor's appearance.

"It seems in character with his public position on the issue," Wood said.

Beyond disagreeing with the governor's view on abortion, Wood said he found the rally's location inappropriate. The rally was held in the State House rotunda, not outside on the steps as it was last year.

Parquette said that last year, her organization brought in speakers including Alvita King, the niece of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Parquette's group expected King to attract such a large crowd, Parquette said, that they held the event outside.

This year the event had speakers only from within the state, Parquette said. She estimated that between 250 and 300 people came to the rally this year, and said attendance varies from year to year, depending on the weather.

Loretta Rego, the resource specialist at the State House who helps coordinate events, said anyone who wants to hold an event inside the State House must write a letter that describes the event and gives an estimated attendance. The request must be approved by State House officials.

Christina Cozzetto '10, the co-president of Brown Students for Life, attended the rally both this year and last year.

She said this year's indoor rally was better because "it wasn't 10 degrees." Cozzetto said her co-president, Sara Berglund '09, was the only other member of Brown Students for Life in attendance.

Neither Brown Students for Choice nor Brown Medical Students for Choice sent official representatives to protest the event.

Students for Choice "generally focuses on proactive activism - that is, we mobilize on the behalf of choice initiatives rather than against anti-choice initiatives," said Allison Pappas '08, president of Brown Students for Choice.

Charles Bakst '66, a political columnist for the Providence Journal, said it was "not out of the norm" for a politician to attend an event like the January rally. But he added that the governor's view on abortion differs from that of the "major politicians in Rhode Island," such as Democratic Sens. Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse, as well as Democratic Rep. Patrick Kennedy. Democratic Rep. James Langevin said he is opposed to abortion.

"No other group that I know of has this degree of intimacy with the Governor and his family as the anti-choice folks (do)," Wood said.