Top Fishmonger: Captain's Catch

Chowder and spelt and squid, oh my!

Captain's Catch1702 Mineral Springs Avenue, North Providence (click for map)(401) 353-FISHOpen 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mon. to Sat., 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sun.

For a place called the "Ocean State," fresh seafood is harder to find around here than you might think. If you're looking for something that Whole Foods doesn't offer, you'll have to venture off College Hill - and you need to know where to go. In my experience, Captain's Catch in North Providence is by far the most convenient and reliable option around.

Now I realize that not everyone likes to cook - and, more than that, not everyone is blessed with the ability to do it well. If you're not a seafood gourmand, Captain's Catch's incredibly friendly staff can help you navigate its selection.

Upon entering the store, one finds long rows of raw fish, resting on ice, just waiting to be cooked. Instantly apparent is the expansive menu, free of additives, preservatives and other chemicals. Their fish come from local harbors, including Port Judith, Boston and New Bedford, Mass. They also offer a selection of pre-made appetizers and all of the sauces and items you might want to go along with them.

On Fridays, the wives of Captain's Catch employees, along with some other local residents, open up a cafe in the store, selling take-out fish and chips, scallops, smelt, fried clams, squid and chowders. Captain's Catch offers something for all fresh-fish lovers, whether or not your cooking skills are suited for Le Cordon Bleu.

Prices are slightly higher than listed on their Web site - fish and chips will cost you $6.75. It is usually fairly crowded come dinner time, and Captain's closes at 6 p.m., so arrive early.

Captain's Catch opened in 1982 with a slightly lesser selection of fish, but it has always offered its fish and chips take-out on Fridays.

Captain's Catch has a second location in Warwick and also ships its goods overnight around the world. Rhode Island's top fishmonger was also voted "Best Seafood Market" in Southern New England by a Channel 6 Poll.

It's not quite Seattle's Pike's Place, but if you're like me and you take pleasure in selecting a good, fresh fish, trying a new recipe or scarfing down lightly fried, crisp fish and chips, Captain's Catch is where it's at.