Benjy Asher '09: Football team full of promise this season

No matter how busy you are this fall, try to get to a Brown football game. In the already exciting atmosphere of college football, the Bears, ranked third in the Ivy League in a preseason poll, promise to deliver an electrifying brand of football this season in their quest to bring an Ivy League championship back to Brown.

Their offense, which led the league with 31.2 points per game in 2007, is led by quarterback Michael Dougherty '09. Dougherty, a co-captain along with defensive back Darrell Harrison '09, averaged over 300 passing yards per game last year in his first season as a starter, including a 403-yard performance in Brown's win over Dartmouth in the penultimate game of the season.

The final two games of the season also saw the emergence of receiver Bobby Sewall '10 as a serious running threat, when he took over the primary rushing duties to pick up 144 yards against Dartmouth, and another 80 in the team's season-ending win over Columbia.

In addition to rushing and receiving, Sewall, a former quarterback, showcased his throwing abilities last year as well and adds versatility and trickery to the Bears' offense.

He will be joined by Buddy Farnham '10, whose combination of speed and power makes him one of the league's most dangerous receivers. Last season, Farnham's league-leading 78 receptions and 10 receiving touchdowns earned him first team All-Ivy honors.

Brown also features a formidable defense, led by Harrison, who tied for third in the Ivy League with four interceptions last season, including one which he returned 65 yards for a touchdown in a 31-17 win over Penn. The defense also boasts James Develin '10, who in only his sophomore season led the league with six sacks and 13.5 tackles for losses.

The defense will also be anchored by a hard-hitting core of linebackers, which includes Frank Nuzzo '09, John May '09, Steve Ziogas '09 and Miles Craigwell '09, the four of whom accounted for 15 tackles for losses and seven forced fumbles last season.

The atmosphere of a college football game is a very special experience, and it will be even more so with the hard-hitting, big-play style of football we can expect from Brown this year.

Have no doubt, the Bears' home games will be the perfect way to kick off your Saturdays this fall.

Benjy Asher '09 will be at Bruno's game versus Stony Brook on Sept. 20 at 12:30 p.m.