Station owners settle with victims

The owners of the Station night club in West Warwick, where a 2003 fire killed 100, reached a tentative final settlement of $813,218.82 with the victims on Wednesday.

This settlement from brothers Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, among the last defendants to settle, pushed the total sum of money offered to the victims and their families to about $175 million, according to a Sept. 4 article in the Providence Journal.

The Feb. 20 fire occurred during a concert by Great White, whose band member Ty Longley died in the blaze. Over 200 people were injured.

Great White, whose pyrotechnics show set off the fatal flames, also agreed on Wednesday to pay the victims $1 million, according to the Journal.

In August, the town of West Warwick and the state of Rhode Island agreed to pay $10 million to the victims for failing to properly inspect the Station.

Other defendants who have settled include companies which made the Station's unsafe foam lining and the sponsors of the concert.

The Derderians pleaded no contest in 2006 to charges of involuntary manslaughter. Michael is currently serving his final year of sentencing at the Adult Correctional Institute and Jeffrey has since completed his community service sentence of 534 hours.