Athletes shine amid season's ups and downs

So far, this fall has been a season of ups and downs for Brown sports, but here are some athletes who have shone for Bruno:

Abigail Taft '12 (Field Hockey)Taft, from Shaker Heights, Ohio, has burst onto the collegiate field hockey scene, tallying seven goals through her first 10 games. Taft scored two goals in her debut, a 5-2 loss to UNH, and has been instrumental in leading the Bears, who went 1-16 in 2007, to a 3-7 record thus far. Taft has scored in all three of those victories, scoring once in a 2-1 win over Maine, and scoring two goals in each of Brown's other wins, a 2-1 victory over Fairfield and a 3-2 decision yesterday against Sacred Heart. Her play last week against Fairfield earned her Ivy League Rookie of the Week Honors.

Jarrett Leech '09 (M. Soccer) Through Oct. 6, Leech had allowed just one goal in six starts in goal, and currently leads the Ivy League in goals-against average, at .16, and save percentage, at .952. Leech's stellar play in goal has been an integral part of Brown's success this season, with the team's record currently standing at 7-2-1, with a 1-0 mark in the Ivy League.

Brenna Hogue '10 (W. Soccer)Hogue has also sparkled in goal this season, and currently leads the Ivy League with 8.3 saves per game, with the second-ranked goalie averaging only 4.89 saves per game. Hogue's season has included three shutouts, with two coming back-to-back in a 1-0 win over then-No. 11 Penn State and a scoreless tie with then-No. 1 UCLA.

Grant LeBeau '09 (M. Water Polo) LeBeau leads the No. 19 men's water polo team with 37 points, coming on 18 goals and 19 assists. The team currently boasts a 6-5 record after four consecutive wins, including the most recent victory, a 10-8 overtime win over Harvard.