Dual math doctorate in Paris on hold

A dual degree program for math doctoral students who would split time between College Hill and the Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI, cannot begin until additional funds are allocated, according to Professor of Applied Mathematics Jan Hesthaven.

The program, approved by Provost David Kertzer '69 P'95 P'98 and Paris VI President Jean-Charles Pomerol last May, was slated to debut this fall.

Brown doctoral candidates have their tuition covered by the University, according to Sheila Bonde, dean of the Graduate School.

But living expenses in Paris and travel costs require additional funds, Hesthaven said, and the discrepancy between those costs and costs for a student staying in Providence remains to be addressed.

Doctoral students may apply for research assistance, but these grants are capped at $500, far short of the extra costs students would incur studying in Paris, Hesthaven said.

Hesthaven said the Department of Mathematics had not made an effort to recruit for the program because the University had not provided appropriate funds, though a student willing to pay additional expenses out-of-pocket could participate in the program now.

A few students did express interest in participating in the program this fall, he said, but decided not to pursue it after Hesthaven informed them of the additional costs.

Hesthaven said he would like Brown to fund a few students initially as part of a pilot project, in hopes that other funds from external sources such as the National Science Foundation will be easier to secure.

"This is a program where students experience an extraordinary exchange of ideas. There are different academic cultures and educational systems that math students will greatly benefit from," Hesthaven said.