Huckabee to speak tonight on the political process

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee will speak tonight about his experience campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination this year as well as the upcoming election. The event will start at 8 p.m. in Salomon 101.

Boosted by the support of evangelical Christians and Southern voters, Huckabee won early contests in eight states before dropping out of the race in March when it became clear that Sen. John McCain had locked up enough delegates to clinch his party's nomination.

Huckabee's lecture is sponsored by the Brown Lecture Board. Andrew Chapin '10, president of the lecture board, says he hopes Brown students "will look past Huckabee's political ideology and take away from his lecture insight on the American political process that only a few others can provide."

Kat Yang '10, the group's vice president of campus relations, said Huckabee will bring a new perspective to campus. "I know that his political views are very different from the majority of Brown, but at the same time he's a great speaker, and I think he'll bring forth interesting ideas," she said.

Sean Quigley '10, president of the College Republicans and a Herald opinions columnist, said Huckabee was an interesting candidate because he did not fit into the "kind of Reagan coalition."

"He really harped on gay marriage, abortion, even talking about smoking bans which wouldn't fly with the more limited-government aspects of the government," Quigley said. "I look forward to seeing if there will be an evolution question in the audience," he added.

Students seemed very enthusiastic for the Republican's visit. Tickets for the lecture, which were distributed for free with a Brown ID in Faunce House Monday and Tuesday, sold out within 45 minutes on each day, said Chapin.

The ticket demand was comparable to when the Lecture Board brought former Providence mayor Vincent "Buddy" Cianci, Jr. and Spike Lee to speak last year, Chapin said.

Doors will open at 7:15 p.m., and tickets will be accepted at the door until 7:45 p.m. Any remaining seats after that time will be open to the public. The lecture is also expected to be simulcast in Salomon 001.