Perry P'91 basks in first uncontested race

For the first time in 10 consecutive races, State Sen. Rhoda Perry P'91 of Rhode Island's third district is running unopposed this November. While the absence of an opponent makes this campaign easier, Perry says she appreciates the value of competition.

"I do think that having a challenger keeps the incumbent on their toes, keeps them informed on all the issues (and) acts as an incentive to move on issues that constituents are concerned about," she said. An opponent "allows the incumbent to demonstrate his or her effectiveness or lack thereof," she said.

Perry was first elected to Rhode Island's senate in 1990. In her almost two decades in the state senate, Perry said she has worked on behalf of reproductive choice, marriage equality and the rights of convicts.

Last term, Perry sponsored a bill with Rep. David Segal, D-Dist. 2, that would overturn Rhode Island's practice of putting parolees back in jail when they are charged with a crime, even if they are not convicted. The bill passed both houses of the legislature this June but was vetoed by Gov. Donald Carcieri '65. Perry said she hopes there will be enough votes to override the veto in the coming session.

With the help of Brown students from the activist group Democracy Matters, Perry said she has "been working on a bill that would take the money out of elections." Perry sponsored the group's Fair Elections bill - which would provide campaigns with state money and limit private contributions - with Rep. Edith Ajello, D-Dist. 3. She said it would "bring a lot more interesting people into the legislature" and ensure that "lobbyists wouldn't be as powerful."

But given the state's large and increasing budget deficit, "I just don't think that a fair elections bill will be given priority," Perry said.

Perry also introduced a bill that would grant full marriage rights to same-sex couples. She said the bill "did not move at all. It was heard, but it did not move."

"We have essentially a conservative legislature," Perry said. But just as much of the country appears poised for a leftward shift in the coming elections, "I think the progressive community is going to pick up a few additional votes" in Rhode Island, Perry said.

"We get closer every year" to legalizing same-sex marriage, she added.

Perry said that she also hopes to see changes in the way the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority is funded, calling RIPTA's current plans for service cutbacks dismaying.

"It's a real shame that public transit in Rhode Island is in jeopardy," said Perry, who added that she has advocated increased funding for RIPTA in the past. Perry said she was troubled by the dissonance of linking funding for public transportation to a gas tax and said she would like RIPTA to receive alternate sources of funding.

Given the current economic woes of the state - which at the end of September had the nation's highest rate of unemployment - Perry said that budget reductions will likely affect her agenda for the next term. As chair of the senate's Health and Human Services Committee, she said one of her most urgent priorities will be to "keep our health care system for low income children and families as intact as we possibly can."

Perry also said that she would like to see the college-aged population participate more directly in electoral politics by running for office. She said she felt Rhode Island's legislature would benefit from a fresh perspective.

"It's good to have the vim and vigor of youth," Perry said.