M. hockey falls to Yale in shutout

The men's hockey team (0-4-1, 0-2-1 ECAC) lost to Yale (4-1-0, 2-1-0) for the second time this season, by a score of 3-0 on Saturday in New Haven. Despite 39 saves from goalie Dan Rosen '10, Bruno couldn't hang with the Bulldogs after giving up two goals in the second period.

The Bears' play in the opening minutes was indicative of their performance all night. In the first two and a half minutes, Yale gained an 8-0 shot advantage. But Rosen stopped all eight attempts.

Yale goalie Alec Richards was not challenged until Assistant Captain Jordan Pietrus '10 got off a power-play shot nearly ten minutes into the game. Richards saved that shot and one more in the first period. When the buzzer blew for intermission, the scoreboard remained blank, but Yale had a 17-2 shot advantage.

When the second period began, Yale had 1:50 left on a power-play. Then, just 31 seconds into the period, Harry Zolnierczyk '11 was sent to the penalty box for tripping, giving the Bulldogs a two-man advantage. Under a half a minute later, Mark Arcobello fired a shot off the post, but Brian O'Neill was waiting by the goal and slapped the rebound past Rosen to give Yale a 1-0 lead.

Just over four minutes later, Arcobello scored one of his own, on a backhand from the inside of the left circle that bounced off of the post and into the net.

Although Yale outscored Bruno 2-0 in the second period, the shot totals were more balanced than in the first. Rosen faced 11 shots, while Richards stopped 10.

The final period stayed scoreless until Rosen left an empty net with just over a minute left in the game. Despite the extra attacker, Bulldog Denny Kearney intercepted a pass at the point, then fired a shot and beat Brown's phantom goalie to end the game, 3-0.

Rosen finished with a .951 save percentage on 41 shots. Richards recorded the shutout after a perfect 17-for-17 effort.

The Bears return to their home ice to face off against Harvard on Tuesday night at 7.