R.I. Republicans gather for steak, Obama voters meet at Biltmore

Just as polls closed in battleground states last night, a somber crowd of more than 80 supporters of John McCain and local Republican candidates gathered at Ruth's Chris Steak House in downtown Providence to watch election results in an event organized by the Rhode Island Republican Party.

Some said they were optimistic, no matter what the numbers or the pundits had to say.

"I'm very hopeful," said Brendan Boyle, chairman of the College Republican Federation of Rhode Island and a student at Roger Williams University.

"Granted, it's only 9:06 (p.m.), and the numbers aren't quite in yet, but if (Barack Obama) was going to win by a gross margin that would be evident (by now)."

Glued to the television, McCain supporter Doreen Costa said she and other volunteers had received a positive response from Rhode Islanders when they canvassed, repeatedly running out of yard signs, pins and T-shirts and having to order more.

So when it became apparent last night that the Arizona senator had lost Rhode Island's four electoral votes, Costa said she couldn't believe it.

"I'm numb," she said. "I thought he was going to pull Rhode Island. I can't believe the numbers."

Costa said though she would respect Obama if he became president, she was scared for the country's future under his leadership.

"I'm scared (of) Barack Obama," Costa said. "We don't know about him. His wife hates white Americans. ... He also believes in partial birth abortions, which is disgusting."

But if Costa was ready to respect Obama, Stephen DeNuccio, another volunteer, wasn't.

DeNuccio strongly criticized the Democratic candidate's lack of experience and service to the country. He said other African American politicians such as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and former Secretary of State Colin Powell would have made much better candidates.

"He didn't do anything to win (my) respect," said DeNuccio, who added that if Obama won he would not watch his inaugural address. "This is the wrong guy."

But Barry Lucier, first vice chairman of CRFRI, said an Obama victory would encourage him and the Republican party to work harder in the future.

"It'll be more motivating and a reason to do better," Lucier said.

Just a few blocks away, a larger and noisier crowd of young and old gathered in the Biltmore Hotel's brightly lit Grand Ballroom.

Carrying signs for Obama-Biden and the state's congressional delegation, supporters enjoyed live music while waiting to hear what their legislators had to say.

Democratic incumbent Sen. Jack Reed, who won his third term yesterday, addressed the eager crowd before Obama's victory was declared.

Reed, who accompanied Obama on his tour of the Middle East this past summer, emphasized his commitment to bring tax reform, improve health care and education and reduce dependence on foreign oil.

"Tomorrow the work begins," he said, adding that it was important for citizens to come together "not as Democrats, not as Republicans but as Americans."

William Lynch, chairman of the Rhode Island Democratic State Committee, said his party's victories in the Ocean State symbolized the change Americans want to see across the country.

"Rhode Island is sort of an example of what's going on around the country. Barack Obama has carried states that people told us we could never carry," Lynch said.