Volleyball loses to Dartmouth, Harvard in rough weekend

The volleyball team had a tough weekend at two Ivy League rivals, losing 3-1 to Dartmouth on Friday and 3-0 to Harvard on Saturday. The Bears had faced both teams at home earlier this season, taking down the Crimson 3-1 but losing to the Big Green 1-3.

Despite starting the season strong, the Bears are struggling to keep their confidence after suffering a few losses, captain Natalie Meyers '09 said.

In the match against Dartmouth, the Big Green offense came out dominant in the first game, hitting .593, and took the game easily 25-13.

The Bears answered in the second game, picking up their offense and to even the match by taking the second game 25-23.

But the momentum did not stay with Brown, as the host offense came back to dominate the Bears, .538 to .250 in the third game and .364 to .282 in the fourth game. Dartmouth won both games on scores of 25-21.

Against the Crimson, the Bears posted good hitting statistics but still fell short, as Harvard swept the team 3-0. In the first game, the two teams were tied at 25, forcing the game into overtime. But Harvard came out on top to win the game 28-26.

Despite the Bears' strong efforts to keep the last two games close, the Crimson never lost their intensity in the rest of the match and took the final two games, 25-18 and 25-21.

With these two losses, the Bears are now 11-11 overall and 3-7 in the Ivies. The team does not have a chance at the Ivy title this season, but the players still want to fight in the remaining matches to achieve other goals - one being to finish the season with more wins than losses, Meyers said.

The Bears will play at home this weekend, hosting Cornell Nov. 7 and Columbia Nov. 8. This will be the team's last weekend at home as well as Senior Night.