Faculty rebuffs UCS on pre-reqs

Members of the Undergraduate Council of Students' executive board met with the Faculty Executive Committee Tuesday to present a proposal for halting Banner's enforcement of prerequisites. But at Wednesday night's meeting the general body learned of the FEC's rejection of the request.

In a letter to Academic and Administrative Affairs Chair Tyler Rosenbaum '11 and President Brian Becker '09, FEC Chair and Chair of the Faculty James Dreier wrote "the FEC does not support removing Banner's enforcement of prerequisites ... We think instructors should be able to have enforced prerequisites if they want to."

After the meeting Rosenbaum told The Herald "It was disappointing to me - not entirely unexpected."

"I kind of wished I could have known how much support there was" among the faculty, he added, noting that he did not know if the FEC rejected the UCS request overwhelmingly or if a significant minority supported it. "We're not just going to back down because we've experienced adversity," he said.

The next committee meeting of the Academic and Administrative Affairs Committee will be open to the public and will concern response to the FEC decision.

UCS also filled an at-large vacancy on the Undergraduate Finance Board as well as electing a UCS-UFB liaison Wednesday night.

Benjamin Schrank '11 was elected from among ten candidates as an at-large member of the board. Schrank told the council that he considered UFB "the lifeblood of student activities here at brown." Council members pointed to Schrank's experience as financial signatory for the mock trial team and the Brown Contemporary during deliberation.

Rosenbaum, a Herald opinions columnist, beat out fellow UCS members Brady Wyrtzen '11 and Lucy Wang '12 to be elected UCS-UFB liason. He told the council that he believes there have been past instances in which UCS did receive as much funding as it should, and that on UFB he would vote for UCS interests.

"I do my own taxes," he added.