UCS challenges Morning Mail policy

The Undergraduate Council of Students proposed a resolution Tuesday calling for the University to reverse its new, more restrictive policy for posting to Morning Mail.

The new policy, which began in January, excludes Morning Mail announcements that advertise events in venues that hold fewer than 300 people.

The 300-person minimum for events was "arbitrary," UCS President Brian Becker '09 said at the meeting, and several UCS members pointed out that few campus venues can accommodate that many people. Council members added that it is smaller events that benefit most from Morning Mail's free publicity.

"The size of the venue does not determine the value of an event to the Brown community," the proposed resolution reads in part.

A straw poll of UCS members conducted last Wednesday night showed overwhelming disapproval of Morning Mail's new policy. Faculty and staff, not students, had complained about Morning Mail's excessive length, said UCS Communications Chair Clay Wertheimer '10, the resolution's sponsor.

"It seemed like there was a consensus that students were against the new policy," Wertheimer told The Herald.

"There's certainly a lot that can be done to improve how Brown distributes information," he added. "It doesn't make sense to take away the only means of centralized communication."

The council will vote on the resolution at its general body meeting next Wednesday.

Tyler Rosenbaum '11, UCS academic and administrative affairs chair and a Herald opinions columnist, also announced that UCS members would be meeting with academic department chairs in the next two weeks to discuss scaling back the prerequisites that Banner requires for those departments' courses.