UCS responds to Morning Mail policy reversal

The Undergraduate Council of Students passed a revised resolution in response to the Office of Public Affairs and University Relations' reversal of its more restrictive Morning Mail submission policy at the UCS general body meeting Wednesday night. The resolution recognized "PAUR's expeditious response to student concerns," called for the public relations office to continue the open Morning Mail policy and requested improved communication between PAUR and UCS.

Early Friday morning, PAUR discontinued its policy that restricted Morning Mail announcements to events accommodating at least 300 people in response to student feedback. UCS Communications Chair Clay Wertheimer '10 credited the change to student feedback and a proposed UCS resolution in opposition to the policy.

Wertheimer, the resolution's sponsor, told The Herald Tuesday night he was "really pleased" with the reversal, which was "exactly what the resolution was calling for." He said he still planned to bring the resolution up for a vote, because the UCS executive board "thought it was important to officially record our opinion on the issue."

But in an e-mail sent later that night to the UCS general body and obtained by The Herald, Student Activities Chair Ryan Lester '11 wrote that passing a resolution calling for a change that had already been made would be "silly ... slightly spiteful and completely useless."

Lester attached his proposed resolution with the e-mail, which "thanks and supports the Office of Public Affairs and University Relations for its immediate response," and requests that UCS be consulted about any future changes to Morning Mail.

In an e-mailed response to the general body obtained by The Herald, Wertheimer wrote that he was "not accepting" Lester's changes, but later in a second response Wednesday morning included an updated resolution containing many of the Lester's changes.

"I thought it was important for posterity to record UCS opinion," Wertheimer told the UCS general body Wednesday night, adding that the amended resolution "had more relevance for the future."

Wertheimer's amended resolution passed without opposition.