Peanuts make limited comeback

Some foods containing peanut butter have been reintroduced to campus eateries after a month-long absence following a massive recall of peanut products last month.

Brown Dining Services removed all peanut-containing products on Jan. 20 "immediately upon learning of the (Food and Drug Administration) recall," wrote Ann Hoffman, director of administration and human services for BDS, in an e-mail to The Herald.

The removal of products was in response to a series of nationwide recalls issued by the Peanut Corporation of America of products it had processed since the start of 2007 because of possible Salmonella contamination. From candy to pet food, thousands of peanut products are named for recall on the FDA Web site.

The outbreak has sickened over 500 people and killed eight, according to the New York Times.

On Feb. 23, individual serving packets of Smuckers and Jif peanut butter returned to dining halls after the J.M. Smucker Company verified that these products were not included in the recall, Hoffman wrote.

But there are no plans to bring back any other peanut products to Brown's campus in the near future.

"We do not know when other products will return; we won't do anything without verification of product safety," Hoffman wrote, adding that the costs of removal were partially offset by vendors.

Most Brown students seem unfazed by the effects of the recall.

"I don't really eat peanut butter that much so it didn't affect me," said Nick Baer '12.

Mrinal Kapoor '12 agreed, noting, "I only eat Hershey's Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and they weren't recalled at CVS."