Anish Mitra '10: The best we'll ever have

I know it's early, but I'm a senior and I want a truly memorable spring weekend.  Last year, the Nas concert was filled with energy, but a large portion of Brown students were still simply unfamiliar with the bulk of his discography.  I did not attend the Of Montreal concert, but I imagine the hipsters had a blast and are probably looking for something equally or more entertaining for April 2010.

The fact of the matter is, we need an A-list performer.  Since my time as a freshman, our headliners have been The Roots, The Flaming Lips, M.I.A., Lupe Fiasco, Nas and Of Montreal.  While all of these musicians are talented and entertaining in their own right, none of them were topping charts during the years in which we brought them to Brown. 

Not only do we need someone that is currently relevant and making hits, but we need someone young and charismatic. The best part of Spring Weekend is the surrounding energy of the crowd and the overall jovial atmosphere that surfaces once the lights go dim and the performers take the stage. 

Further, we should bring in a performer who shares lyrics about experiences that everyday college students can actually identify with.  For example, when Nas started deriding Fox News last year, everybody went wild. We need a young stud that can truly energize our crowd and make this upcoming event one that we won't forget for years to come.

Lastly, we need somebody with true talent.  Brown is certainly a place of eclectic tastes, and thus, we need a versatile performer that all Brown students can enjoy, regardless of musical preference. I love rap and hip-hop, but there are times when I prefer something softer, with more melody.  Bringing an artist with a variety of styles and musical talent can provide the value of two or more artists for the price of one. 

Before the Brown Concert Agency goes on a crazy manhunt for the magical mystery man I have been describing, let me cut to the chase: we need Drake.  Not only is he one of the only artists that can fulfill all of the requirements I have described above, but we might have a real chance at getting this guy at a reasonable price if we act early. 

For the unfamiliar, Aubrey "Drake" Graham is an actor turned rapper/R&B singer. He played the character Jimmy on the Canadian television series "Degrassi: The Next Generation" for eight years.  After leaving the show, he released three independent mixtapes in an effort to create a buzz.  Last summer, his efforts finally paid off.  His smash single, "Best I Ever Had," peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, and has stayed on the list for 20 weeks.  Further, he signed with Young Money Entertainment and currently rolls with Lil Wayne and Birdman, among others. 

Drake has shown an undying drive to succeed, which I cannot help but admire.  As a matter of fact, he even raps about it in his song "Successful" with popular R&B singer Trey Songz. He is not a 10-year industry veteran that has been doing concerts on a regular basis to the point where he only considers concerts as revenue generators.  He is a new performer tasting the first fruit of super stardom, and I am confident that he will give a stellar, energetic and thoughtful performance.  

Drake is "hot" right now, and it is my firm conviction that he will not only remain relevant, but his value will increase exponentially by the time April rolls around. The beauty is, Drake got signed, achieved a number two Billboard hit and has begun doing tours without even releasing an album. 

While I admit I have not talked to any representatives from his camp, I truly believe if we lock him down now before he actually releases an album (and thus stamping his transition from an independent artist to a bona fide superstar), we can essentially reap a huge rate of return.

In the same way a forward-looking investor enters a cheap futures contract for goods he knows will be more valuable in the future, we must act quickly and lock Drake in for Spring Weekend before he blows up any further.  The fact that he has yet to release an album and the questionable reviews of his BET performance and music videos should be enough ammo to negotiate a reasonably low price for his April arrival. By the time spring rolls around, this investor believes he'll be the best we'll ever have.

Anish Mitra '10 is thinking, "What good is being famous, if I'm never on your mind?"