Crime Log: Rash of thefts over Fall Weekend snares laptops, projector and a bike

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Oct. 8 and Oct. 12. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Oct. 8

12:29 p.m. Media Services employees reported that a pair of speakers in Barus and Holley were stolen from a classroom sometime between 10 p.m. on Oct. 6 and 10 p.m. on Oct. 7. The speakers were bolted to a bracket on the wall in the room.

Oct. 9

10:05 a.m. An employee reported that a data projector was stolen from a classroom in Alumnae Hall. Video and alarm wires were found hanging from the ceiling where the projector was mounted. The reporting person stated that the missing projector was last checked by Media Services on the week of Sept. 4. Nothing else was reported stolen or damaged and there were no signs of forced entry.

9:08 p.m. A student stated that he left his room in Andrews Hall at 8:30 p.m. When he returned at 9:07 p.m. his laptop had been stolen. He originally told the officers the door was locked when he returned, then later said it was ajar. Officers inspected the door and found no visible signs of forced entry, yet the student said he was positive he left his door locked.

11:40 p.m. Student stated that at approximately 11:35 p.m. she was in her room alone and left for about five minutes to go to the restroom. Upon leaving, she left the door unlocked and slightly open. She stated that when she returned she noticed that her laptop and her roommate's laptop were missing from their desks. She stated that she checked her room and found nothing else missing.

Oct. 11

1:46 a.m. A student stated that at approximately 1:30 a.m. he left his dorm room in Everett House and went to the restroom nearest to the room. His roommate then left the room to visit a friend and left the room open. When he returned from the restroom he noticed that their laptops were missing, along with a set of headphones.

2:27 a.m. A student reported that sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. an unknown person entered her unlocked room in Wayland House and removed her laptop from her bed. Her roommate was sleeping in the room during this time period but did not see or hear anything.

10:59 p.m. A student stated that at approximately 10:30 p.m. she was headed downstairs to cook when an unknown subject entered the building. She let the subject in as he stated that he had lost his swipe card. She asked the unknown subject where he lived and he stated "three." She continued heading downstairs and the unknown subject ran upstairs. Approximately 30 minutes later she and her roommate returned back to their room and noticed that a laptop, iPhone and debit cards were missing. The door to the room was left unlocked and open.

Oct. 12

11:06 a.m. Student stated that she locked her bike to the bike rack outside the Sharpe Refectory with a U-lock on Oct. 1 at 6:30 p.m. On Oct. 8 at 9:30 a.m., when she returned to the bike rack to get her bike, it was not there.