Thanks to a leaky pipe, students attending class in Salomon 101 this month have spent class in an unexpected shower of drops of water falling from the ceiling.

The problem, initially thought by Facilities Management to be from a leak in the roof, was repaired on Friday.

Dami Olatunji '11 was attending class in the auditorium last week when a friend on the other side of the room sent her a text message to say that water drops were falling on her head. But the problem was somewhat isolated — several students with classes in Salomon 101 told The Herald they had not heard of the issue.

A custodial supervisor noted the leak on Oct. 5, and the mechanical division of Facilities Management repaired the pipe, said Stephen Maiorisi, vice president for Facilities Management.

"There were pipes leaking above the ceiling. It was a … low-pressure steam valve," he said. "Now we're scheduling work to fix the damage that was done to the ceiling."

Maiorisi said the leak does not indicate further mechanical issues for Salomon.

"In all these buildings, all the time there's plumbing or electrical or other issues that our people are taking care of," he said.

The pipe might have been leaking for some time before it was noted, Maiorisi said, because it was a "slow leak" that "saturate(d) an area of the ceiling."