Editor's note: A number of passages in the original version of this article presented as direct quotations language that differed from the wording used by the individuals quoted.

Corrections to the misquotations have been made below. Changes are made in italics, with parentheses indicating words that were erroneously included in the quotations in the original version of the article.

The Herald is committed to accuracy in its reporting and regrets the misquotations.

--------

A haunted house, an organ concert, a decoration-bedecked observatory and a screening of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show." Not to mention frat parties, house parties and stand-up comedy. It's all in the cards for this weekend — evidence that, for many Brown students, Halloween is serious business.

"(I've been planning my costume for) a month," said Nic Mooney '11, head of publicity for the Special Events Committee, which plans free campus-wide events. "I don't even want to think about (how much I've spent on) it."

This year, he said, he'll be dressing as a "skanky" sun, using supplies purchased at the Garment District, a store in Boston.

Mooney will showcase the outfit trick-or-treating on College Hill.

"It's fun," he said, "especially if you're really decked out."

Chio Yokose '10 and Kenji Morimoto '11, co-presidents of the Japanese Cultural Association, said creating this year's haunted house, in the basement of Sayles Hall, was a "huge time commitment."

After much deliberation, the group settled on a hospital theme with "plenty of blood," they said, but specific decorations and elements will be a secret until the event is unveiled on Friday night.

In his role in the Special Events Committee, Mooney said he was also busy organizing Thursday's Live on Lincoln event, which included student performances, a costume contest and free food.

"(We've been) planning since the beginning of the year," he said.
And a lot went into planning Alpha Epsilon Pi's Wriston Rising party, which will take place Saturday night.

"(This is our) biggest party of the semester," Troy Shapiro '10, an AEPi brother said, adding that the frat had been organizing the party for "upwards of a month."

All that planning has paid off, he said: This year, the party will be held in a tent, allowing AEPi to admit 300 people at a time. Last year, a 250-person capacity meant they had to turn away dozens of partygoers.

The party's $5,000 budget includes a DJ, a dance floor, lights, a bar and decorations.

"We're going to cover Wriston with gravestones," Shapiro said, "plus a few surprises."
His costume, on the other hand, will be anything but spooky. "(I'm going as a) teddy bear," he said.

A previous version of the article indicated the AEPi event would have an open bar. In fact, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks will be sold for $1 each. The Herald regrets the error.