Yeasayer to headline BCA Fall Concert as Providence band opens

Yeasayer, a experimental psychedelic band based in Brooklyn, will headline the Brown Concert Agency's Fall Concert Nov. 13 at the RISD auditorium.

Javelin, the formerly Providence-based electro-funk duo of Tom Van Buskirk '04 and George Langford, will open.

Tickets go will go on sale Monday, and will cost $7 with a Brown or RISD ID and $15 for the general public. The BCA intends to sell tickets through its Web site, but could not confirm the arrangement by press time, according to Alex Spoto '11, the agency's administrative chair.

There have been "rumblings about Yeasayer" in BCA student polling over the past few years, Spoto said. "They've always been pretty popular here at Brown," he said.

Yeasayer toured internationally with Man Man — part of last year's Fall Concert lineup — in 2008. The group played at the Bonnaroo music festival this Spring and is scheduled to perform next Friday at the Guggenheim Museum in New York.

"We thought (Javelin) would complement them nicely," Spoto said. The band — which describes its genre as "oldies, newies" — recently relocated to New York City.

The venue for the show has relocated this year too — Alumnae Hall has hosted it in the past.
"The sound is going to be great" at the RISD auditorium, Spoto said, adding, "It has seats."
Spoto added he hoped the choice of venues would "bring some more cross-pollination" between the Brown and RISD student bodies.

Students unable to wait for next month's show can check out the all-Brown bluegrass band Pawtucket Mudd at BCA's showcase Friday night at 9:45 in the Grad Center Lounge.