Letter: 'Ethical vegetarian' analogy flawed

To the Editor:

Regarding Will Wray's '10 column ("Tobin plays hardball," Dec. 2): A Catholic supporting pro-choice legislation is nothing like an ethical vegetarian working on a factory farm. First, an ethical vegetarian, by definition, opposes eating meat for ethical reasons. Being pro-life, however, is not a central tenet of Catholicism, just a current social position of the head governing body of the Church. Second, Kennedy does not work in an abortion clinic; he simply supports a woman's legal right to choose. This is perhaps like an ethical vegetarian supporting another's legal right to eat meat, but certainly not like directly participating in the killing of animals. Finally, it's not even clear from polls that a plurality of Catholics are pro-life: A March 2009 Gallup poll found 40 percent of Catholics to believe that abortion is morally acceptable (versus 41 percent of non-Catholics).

Also, Wray's suggestion that Kennedy should not be a politician if he considers himself to be a Catholic is nonsensical. Our political system often forces legislators to make difficult and morally ambiguous decisions. Should everyone with controversial moral beliefs stay out of government for fear of having to vote for legislation that violates one of these beliefs? I shudder to think of a government like that.

Edward Rice '12
Dec. 2