Letter: U. providing increased transfer support

To the Editor:

We were pleased to read your recent editorial about the importance of ongoing support for transfer students at Brown ("Transfixed," Feb. 19). In the past two years, the College has introduced a number of enhancements to the advising offered to transfer students. Because these changes may not be widely known, we are writing to offer a brief summary for Herald readers.

Incoming transfer students now receive two planning guides before they arrive, "Transfer Guide to Brown" and "Planning Your Liberal Education: A Guide for Transfer Students." On campus, they undergo a three-day orientation program tailored to their needs. Before, during and after their orientation, they receive individual advising with academic deans, faculty members and a network of peer advisors. Sophomore transfers are paired with a Faculty Advising Fellow, who will serve as a supplemental advisor until the student declares a concentration. Juniors are immediately put in touch with relevant concentration advisors. Peer transfer counselors — Brown students who were once transfers themselves — help to mediate these advising relationships, sharing their perspectives on Brown and on adapting to a new environment.

Beyond the orientation, transfer students also enjoy a number of activities that take place throughout the semester. The Brown community has been enriched year after year by the quality, commitment and zeal of its transfer students. We recognize that an increase in transfer enrollment may present additional advising pressures on the College, but we feel certain that the new programs described here should help us to support all new transfers in the way they deserve.

Dean Maitrayee
Bhattacharyya '91
Dean Besenia Rodriguez '00
Office of the Dean of the College