Frances Jasmin has been arrested and charged in the Brooklyn hit-and-run accident that injured Erinn Phelan '09 and her former roommate, Alma Guerrero '09 MD '13, according to multiple news outlets.

Jasmin turned herself into the police Wednesday following her release from the psychiatric ward of New York Presbyterian Hospital, according to reports.

Phelan remains in critical condition at Kings County Hospital. Guerrero has been released and has returned to campus.

Before the police apprehended Jasmin, Lt. John Grimpel of the New York Police Department told The Herald the charges would change if Phelan's condition changes. Jasmin has not yet appeared in court and is scheduled to do so soon, the Boston Globe reported.

Jasmin's sister, Cindy, was identified early in the investigation as the owner of the green Acura Legend involved in the accident. Cindy Jasmin, who waited two days before approaching the police, gave a press conference on Feb. 26 alongside her lawyer, Adam Thompson. "I am the owner of the vehicle involved in the accident," Cindy Jasmin said. "My sister was the driver of the car involved in the accident."

Frances Jasmin's lawyer, Renee Hill, told the Boston Globe, "My client is not a monster. She's a young lady who's very sorry this situation has occurred."

As a coordinator for the NYC Civic Corps volunteer program, Phelan worked in New York's City Hall under Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The mayor has visited Phelan's bedside multiple times in the last two weeks. In a statement Wednesday, he said, "I want to thank the detectives who have been working tirelessly on this case, and I want to thank the New Yorkers who continue to keep Erinn in their thoughts and prayers.''