Editorial: Sweating the small stuff

The editorial page board has complained a lot this year. We've complained about everything from garbage cans on the Main Green to national politics. So, as another school year comes to an end, we'd like to wrap things up by doing what we do best.
On December 16, 1964, The Herald's editorial offered a list of petty grievances that "could be eliminated with one stroke of the bureaucratic pen." Their list included some dated complaints, such as the presence of only one pencil sharpener in the Rockefeller Library and the lack of drainage on fraternity porches. We're glad to see that many of these concerns have been addressed. However, as old annoyances are swept away, there are always new ones to replace them. As our last editorial of the year, we are pleased to bring you our own updated list of minor complaints:

— The ice cream machine in the Ratty is taken away at around 7:15 each night, even though the serving lines are supposed to be open until 7:30. And the non-ice cream dessert offering usually runs out well before then.
— There's one bathroom stall in the Friedman Study Center, which isn't nearly sufficient given the volume of people that use it.
— Iced coffee is only available in the Blue Room three months of the year. The only ingredients are ice and coffee, both of which are available year-round, so why is their combination seasonal?
— PAWPrints money can't be used for photocopying. And while we're on the topic, we'd be pretty surprised to find anyone who thinks the current allotted print money is enough for the entire year.
— The toasters in the Ratty are too small, too slow and too old. We usually have to put our English muffins in for three or four go-arounds before they even start to turn brown.
— No on-campus dining location is open on Sunday morning before 10:30 a.m. This is particularly hard on students who go to church at 10 on Sundays.
— Why aren't there more machines for adding money to one's vending strip? And why aren't any of these machines located in laundry rooms?
— There's no oatmeal in the Ratty after breakfast. This one should be a no-brainer, since it would actually mean less work for the dining services workers if they didn't take the oatmeal away at 11 a.m.
— Department buildings could be a little more welcoming. A directory and a list of each professor's office hours should be posted clearly near the entrance.
— The menus in the Ratty aren't always changed between lunch and dinner, even though it only takes a few minutes to switch the sheets of paper in the display stand. We'd also like to see menus posted outside the doors, so that students have more time to strategize about which line to join first.
— Most professors don't return final exams. If they're expected to return all other exams, why aren't they required to return the most important one?

We know the administration has had its hands full this year with endowment losses and budget cuts. But it's important to keep in mind that little things can sometimes make a big difference. Let's get those bureaucratic pens going!

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.