May 1964: A 17-day workers' strike delayed construction on University buildings, including the new Rockefeller Library. The striking workers — laborers and plasterers' helpers — sought a wage increase of $0.50 per hour from the Associated General Contractors of Rhode Island.

November 1973: Brown's non-appointed library workers went on strike for three weeks. The day after a settlement was reached, Jonathan Farnum, assistant vice president for finance and operations and university negotiator during the strike, resigned. He "denied that the strike situation had any influence on his decision," according to a Nov. 20, 1973 article.

December 1973: "Go f— yourself," said Michael Brown, the head of the University's negotiating team as he prepared to leave a meeting between union and University representatives. The union for non-appointed library workers refused to sign the University's proposed contract at the Dec. 19 meeting, though the two parties reached an agreement and signed a two-year contract in February 1974.

December 1990: Following four months of negotiation and a five-week strike, the University and the library workers union signed a contract under which the union would co-pay for health insurance and Brown would raise wages for unionized library employees.

October 2009: At 2 a.m., negotiators for Brown Dining Services workers and the University agreed to a three-year contract about wages, health care and retirement benefits.