Letter: SLA grateful for Gala change

To the Editor:

Regarding "Gala moves back onto campus" (April 9): The Student Labor Alliance would like to express our utmost appreciation to our fellow students for taking heed of the concerns raised by SLA and the workers of the Westin.

We are heartened and proud to know that there are Brown students willing to stand in support of workers' rights and make personal sacrifices for the common good. We would especially like to acknowledge the Class Board and Key Society's admirable effort to move Gala from the Westin to an on-campus location. We know that moving Gala back to campus has taken a lot of time and energy; we are extremely grateful to those who took it upon themselves to make it happen.

It was not our intention to detract from the Gala or cause any undue conflict between various student groups here on campus. We merely felt it was our responsibility to educate the Brown community and potential Gala attendees about the ongoing boycott at the Westin. Ultimately, our hope is to ensure that the University continues to have a positive and responsible impact on the local Providence community.

As a result, we are currently formalizing a process that would make sure that this unnecessary, disruptive and uncomfortable situation does not occur again in the future. In the next few weeks, we plan to present before UCS, BUCC and administrators about the possibility of institutionalizing a system to guarantee that Brown events (whether student, departmental or otherwise) are not planned to be held in establishments with existing labor disputes.

Sam Adler-Bell '12
Beth Caldwell '12
Lenora Knowles '11
Haley Kossek '13
Rebecca Rast '13

April 13