NYU seeks huge expansion to campus

New York University has proposed a 20-year plan to expand its campus by six million square feet with new classrooms, offices and dorms around New York City, the New York Times reported last month.

With a projected cost of $1,000 per square foot, this would be the largest expansion in the university's history.

NYU plans to grow by 40 percent with an array of new buildings, including a satellite campus with student and faculty housing on Governors Island, in the middle of New York Harbor. The Tisch School of the Arts will also receive new theaters and rehearsal studios, and the College of Nursing will be relocated to a "health corridor" on First Avenue where the school's dental college is currently housed. The plan also includes a new tower on Bleecker Street in the heart of NYU's Greenwich Village campus. 

The aggressive expansion plan will require approval from several city agencies and commissions as well as the City Council. It has already drawn criticism from neighbors and preservationists, who are concerned that NYU will invade local neighborhoods and ignore community input.

URI selects evangelist speaker

David Dooley, the incoming president of the University of Rhode Island, has selected the founder of an evangelical mega-church to speak at his inauguration this week. Rev. Gregory Boyd, the senior pastor of Woodland Hills Church in St. Paul, Minn., will deliver the keynote address at Thursday's ceremony, which will be held at URI's Kingston campus.

The choice has sparked controversy and drawn considerable attention to URI, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. Students and professors have criticized Boyd's views on gay marriage. Dooley has defended his choice, noting that the event will include engaging speakers from a variety of religions and backgrounds.