Reed's president tells students to lay off drugs after deaths

If students at Reed College are caught using any sort of illegal drugs, they will face disciplinary action within the college and may see criminal charges, according to an e-mail Reed President Colin Diver sent to students, faculty and staff on April 23.

According to the e-mail, undercover police will patrol the campus this weekend at Renn Fayre, an annual festival at the Portland school — analogous to Spring Weekend — with three days of music, art and relaxation. The celebrations will start on Friday when classes end for the semester and will have a Jersey Shore theme.

Reed has a history of drug use, and two students have died recently of heroine overdoses, including senior Sam Tepper in March and freshman Alejandro Lluch in 2008.

"We cannot, and we will not stand by if Renn Fayre is a repeat of years past — where even in the wake of Alejandro Lluch's death drug use and distribution were allegedly rampant," wrote Dwight Holton, U.S. Attorney of Oregon, and Michael Shrunk, district attorney for Multnomah County, in a separate e-mail to the Reed community.

Universities book same artists for spring concerts

Even though Snoop Dogg proudly wore a Brown jersey when he performed on Saturday, he has been making the rounds to several other colleges for spring shows.

On Sunday, he rapped at Trinity College in Connecticut, and on Friday he was at a fraternity house at Indiana University, according to his Web site.

The University of Pennsylvania even hooked him for their Spring Fling last week, along with Kid Cudi and Schwayze, according to the event's Web site.

Harvard booked Kid Cudi the same weekend for its annual Yardfest, according to the Harvard Crimson. Also headlining the event was hip-hop act Wale, who came to Brown for Spring Weekend.

Gambling in bars may support Colorado scholarships

In the search for higher education dollars, Colorado lawmakers have proposed a bill that would expand gambling opportunities. The bill would legalize the use of Keno video games in bars and restaurants, and the estimated $100 million in revenue would fund college scholarships, CBS News in Denver reported last week.

"We need to think of creative ways to keep education affordable," State Sen. Chris Romer, D-Denver, said in a Denver Post article last week. Romer said that he supports the plan to allow the game — which is similar to the lottery and has relatively low odds of winning — in bars and restaurants.

If two-thirds of Colorado's state legislators approve the bill, voters will have a chance to pass the measure in November.

Rhode Island legislators are also considering several different measures to expand gambling in the state in the hopes of securing more revenue, the Providence Journal reported earlier this month.