Your parents may have warned you about bedbugs before wishing you sweet dreams as a child, but it turns out that recently, the threat of bedbugs has become a veritable nightmare. At Brown, no case of bedbugs has been reported on campus this year, according to Senior Associate Dean of Residential and Dining Services Richard Bova. But members of the editorial page board have heard stories of bedbugs in off-campus housing. And since most victims of bedbug bites describe the ordeal as torturous, it's worth discussing what we can do to keep our residence halls and apartments free from those terrible pests.

Bedbugs are tiny insects that feed on the blood of humans and tend to strike at night. During the day, they hide out in "cracks and crevices in mattresses, cushions, bed frames, in the folds of curtains, behind loose wallpaper or baseboards, and in clothing or other items on the floor," Director of Health Services Edward Wheeler wrote in an e-mail to the editorial page board. The bite is painless at the time but a reaction — usually a series of swollen, red itchy bumps — occurs the following day, he wrote.

Bedbugs are receiving a great deal of publicity these days, as reports of infestations have risen sharply in several cities, including New York and Chicago. Inside Higher Ed reported bedbugs on the campuses of the University of Colorado at Boulder, Wake Forest University, Pennsylvania State University and New York University. Concerned about a large influx of students who tend to share and reuse old furniture, the city of Boston moved to action. During student move-in days in September, city workers stuck warning tags that cautioned of bedbugs to furniture left in the streets, the New York Times reported.

So what can we do here? To prevent bedbugs, we recommend that students exercise extreme caution when buying used clothing, mattresses and furniture. While bedbugs can remain unseen, it is possible to check for signs of the insects by scanning items for tiny dark bloodstains. Moreover, students who travel to major cities or other college campuses should make an effort to do laundry as soon as possible upon returning. This might seem like a hassle, but trust us when we say it's a relatively minor precaution compared to the potential risks. Once they invade, bedbugs are notoriously difficult to exterminate.

According to Wheeler, one sign of bedbugs is that the bites tend to occur in rows. If you think you have bedbugs, Health Services advises that you wash and dry clothing and bedding on high heat. This will help kill the bugs, but you'll likely need an exterminator to get rid of them entirely, Wheeler wrote. Students living in residence halls should contact the Office of Residential Life immediately if they think their rooms might be infested.

Even though the classic night-time phrase seems innocuous, don't be fooled — bedbugs are a very serious problem. As one traumatized victim told the Chicago Tribune about her experience, "It's horrible. I haven't slept in weeks." The anecdotal reports we've heard indicate that this is probably an understatement. Let's all do our part to keep this campus and this city bedbug-free.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.