Letter: Mental health leave beneficial, effective

To the Editor:

We want to thank The Herald for running an article on the important topic of leaves of absence ("Psychological leave-takers miss U. contact," Sept. 27).

We would also like to clarify some points about medical leaves. Brown has a long history of maintaining a medical leave process that provides the best support and most protection for a student's health and investment in his/her education. Experience points to the difficulty of managing the stress of college with the time and effort required to deal with a significant mental health issue. A period to focus on treatment before returning to school often results in improved satisfaction with the college experience and less disruption or negative impact on academic progress.

We know that leave-taking is often a moment of crisis for both the student and the family. For this reason, policies regarding medical leaves are provided to students in writing, and they are available in print to anyone who requests them. We are in the process of posting them on the Office of Student Life website, to make them more accessible. They should be available there by the end of this week.

When we speak to students after they return from a leave, it is common for us to hear that it was valuable to have taken the time away — even if they did not want to do so initially. Although students often fear that they will never return to campus, the University's experience shows that medical leaves are effective, and the vast majority of students complete their degrees at Brown.

Belinda Johnson

Director, Psychological Services

Maria Suarez

Associate Dean, Office of Student Life

Sept. 27