A group of researchers from Brown and Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island have created an artificial human ovary.

The ovary is able to sustain the growth of oocytes — or immature ova — into mature human eggs, according to a University press release. The invention could be a possible solution for infertile women who have ovarian issues from cancer treatment and could be helpful in future fertility research.

The artificial ovary brings three different ovarian cell types into the same 3-D arrangement as in a real human body. The arrangement is possible because the cells are nurtured in moldable agarose gel in 3-D Petri dishes, which encourages them to gather into certain shapes, according to the press release.

This technique was invented in the lab by Jeffrey Morgan, associate professor of medical science and engineering.

The artificial ovary "is another validation of our technology because it promotes cell-to-cell interaction," Morgan said. He said he is also particularly satisfied with the artificial ovary because it was "invented right here at Brown."  

In order to create the ovary, theca cells, which are one of two main cell types in the human ovary, are donated by women aged 25–46 and formed into honeycombs, according to the press release. Donated granulosa cells in addition to human egg cells are then inserted into the holes of the honeycombs. The theca cells then envelop the granulosa and egg cells in the next few days like a real ovary.

The researchers have also confirmed that the structure could mature eggs, proof that the invention has been successful.

Though the team did not expect to create an artificial ovary, it "represents the first success in using 3-D tissue engineering principles for in vitro oocyte maturation," said Sandra Carson, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Alpert Medical School and senior author of the paper that discusses the invention, in the press release.

Morgan said active collaboration will continue between the researchers who worked on this project.