Nearly a month after its original Sept. 30 expiration date, the twice-extended contract between the University and the library workers union is set to expire today.

Union members will meet at 10 a.m. today in the staff lounge at the Rockefeller Library, said Karen McAninch '74, the union's bargaining agent. At noon, what may be the final round of negotiations will begin in the Rock's administrative area, to the left of the main lobby.

McAninch said negotiations broke Thursday afternoon, when bargainers decided not to drag into the night because it did not appear a compromise would be reached then.

University Librarian Harriette Hemmasi met with union bargainers yesterday morning to reassure them of Brown's commitment to preserve union work to a reasonable extent, McAninch said.

McAninch said she hopes both sides can agree on a way to write language into the contract that would not bind the University.

"That's not resolved yet, but maybe we're moving in the right direction," McAninch said.

Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration Beppie Huidekoper also met with McAninch about wages and employee contributions to health insurance yesterday afternoon, McAninch said, though she added that a wide gap still remained between the two sides' positions.