Letter: Brown-Secure's not so bad

To the Editor:

I read the recent Herald article about Brown-Secure ("Wireless issues widespread, but some are easy to solve," Oct. 7) and winced a little when I heard about people who have resorted to using Brown-EZ all the time. Brown-EZ is "easy" to set up each time, sure, but setting it up every single time you turn on your computer gets really old really fast. Plus, Brown-EZ doesn't work with Brown-licensed software, PAWPrints or even AIM.

Is there a better way to use the Internet wirelessly? Definitely. Brown-Secure doesn't work unless you set it up the first time, but after that it remembers you forever. To set it up, you'll have to follow a few instructions and, if you're running Windows, you'll have to download a special wireless client — check out www.brown.edu/cis/guide/wireless for information. If you want help setting up Brown-Secure on your laptop or smartphone, stop by the CIS Help Desk or talk to a CIS consultant in the SciLi, Rock or CIT. I'm one of those consultants, and I promise we'll be able to help!

I know the steps to set up Brown-Secure can look a little intimidating, but it's totally worth it. Running Photoshop from your laptop, getting WiFi on your phone in the basement of Biomed, printing from your laptop straight to a printer without having to log in at a library computer first (Google "PAWPrints Brown University") — set up Brown-Secure now and your life will pretty much be awesome.

Rahul Banerjee '10 MD '14

Oct. 9