Letter: New TA pay policies trouble alum

To the Editor:

I was troubled to read about the new TA pay policies being imposed on the computer science department ("New TA pay plan sparks protests from CS department," Oct. 28). While at Brown, I worked as an undergraduate TA in the CS department for about as long as one can: I started TA'ing CS4 the spring of my freshman year, and I worked as a TA and Head TA all the way through to graduation.

Being a TA was hands down the single most enriching and lasting experience of my Brown education. The value of the program was in no small part due to the rigor and professionalism it demanded — learning to assume the responsibilities of the real world, with mentorship and guidance, is what college is all about, isn't it?

I am not sure why the University feels compelled to get involved in the minutiae of how many hours a TA works weekly and whether he or she is paid on a stipend or hourly. This is, after all, the same University that conscientiously eschews almost all other involvement in its students' academic lives. I assure you, these TAs are not working against their will. In fact, in my experience the most demanding courses to TA always had the most competitive hiring pools.

At best, I fear this program is bound to be ineffective — the TAs will simply work as they have and report a prescribed number of hours. At worst, it will undermine a valuable program that promotes education, mentorship, collaboration and community in the CS and other departments.

John Goodwin '04

Oct. 28