Newly released letter fuels Cuomo-Rattner '74 P'10 P'13 row

A lawyer for Steven Rattner '74 P'10 P'13 called a $20 million restitution payment solicited by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo "misconcieved" in a letter he made public Monday. The letter was sent on his client's behalf to Cuomo in October, according to the New York Times.

Cuomo's office has accused Rattner of participating in a form of "pay-to-play" by performing improper favors in exchange for contracts with the state pension office. Cuomo solicited payment in restitution for alleged wrongdoings.

Since the time the letter was written, the attorney general's office has increased its demand to $26 million.

According to the Times, the letter was written in late October. It characterizes the payment demanded by Cuomo as "wholly untethered from the facts."

A spokesman for Rattner has charged Cuomo with making statements "that are simply factually incorrect."

This letter adds to what has become a contentious battle between Governor-elect Cuomo and Rattner, a fellow of the University's Corporation. Rattner had taken issue with the attorney general's involvement in such a high-profile case while pursuing a run for governor.

Rattner came to national prominence as the Obama administration's car czar, when he was tasked with overseeing the Treasury Department's restructuring of the auto industry. He stepped down from this position in July of this year amid investigations into his business dealings by Cuomo's office and the Securities and Exchange Commission.