Bill would give students dollars to stay in Rhode Island

State Rep. Chris Blazejewski, D-Providence and East Providence, joined the Brown Democrats last Tuesday to present his plan to counter the "brain drain" that has troubled the state for years. The bill, called Opportunity RI, offers financial incentives both for students to stay in Rhode Island after graduation and for businesses to hire them.  

The bill would provide graduates of Rhode Island colleges or universities a tax credit of up to $8,400 for their student loan payments if they remain in the state to work. Opportunity RI also offers tax credits to companies that volunteer to pay down the student loans of the graduates they employ.

Blazejewski submitted the bill in the state's House of Representatives last Tuesday with almost 30 signatures from legislators on both sides of the aisle and said he also hopes to get a Senate co-sponsor soon. Opportunity RI is modeled on a nearly identical 2007 bill ­— called Opportunity Maine — that passed with bipartisan support in Maine's state legislature.

The progressive Democrat said he hopes the bill will remove financial barriers to higher education. "But the critical piece of this legislation is to keep people in Rhode Island," he said.

Blazejewski ­— a Harvard graduate who said he also suffered the burden of student loans ­— said the legislation will work to end a vicious cycle in which companies are reluctant to move to Rhode Island due to a perceived lack of college-educated workers and students leave Rhode Island after graduation because they cannot find work.

"Graduate school is no longer a definite option," said Shawn Patterson '12, a member of the Brown Democrats. Patterson said the bill has made him consider working for Rhode Island state government or a law firm after graduation.

"Brain drain is an important issue that can be addressed through smart policy," Blazejewski said. While the legislation will initially cost the state as students learn of the program and apply, he said the project will ultimately finance itself through additional income tax receipts from college graduates that remain in the state. "There might be cost increases, but the idea is that you are staying and paying income tax that you would otherwise not be paying," he said.

Opportunity RI is different from other legislation because students at Rhode Island colleges and universities are its main proponents, Blazejewski said. The Brown Democrats are already advocating for the bill. Katerina Wright '11, president of the Brown Democrats, said they will work in committees to develop media strategies and lobbying opportunities and reach out to other student groups.

"I think it is an excellent idea," said Peter Simon '13. "Rhode Island needs to take advantage of the fact that Brown is located in this state."