UCS names Elections Board chair, U. Resources Committee member

The Undergraduate Council of Students commenced the spring elections and appointments process with two student appointments and announced the progress of various projects at its general body meeting last night.

The council unanimously motioned for Anthony White '13, a member of the Student Activities Committee, to serve as Elections Board chair for the UCS, Undergraduate Finance Board and class board elections in March and April. White will oversee the elections process and address the complaints and concerns of candidates and students. UCS also recently appointed former Herald staff writer Ben Noble '13, a member of the Campus Life Committee, to a two-year term on the University Resources Committee. The committee reviews University budget needs and submits a proposal annually to President Ruth Simmons.

Applications for positions on other University committees are currently available and must be submitted March 8 by 11:59 p.m.

The Admissions and Student Services Committee is continuing its efforts to obtain Brown e-mail addresses for alums, improve satellite gyms and introduce a program that would allow students to monitor the statuses of dormitory washing machines and dryers online. Committee Chair Chris Collins '11 announced the committee plans to present a resolution on behalf of UCS next week encouraging the establishment of permanent Brown e-mail addresses. Though the University administration will make the final decision, UCS resolutions have been influential in past decisions, and there have been "no steps backwards" in the process thus far, he said.

The initiative to renovate the Bears Lair, increase funding for fitness equipment and place Department of Facilities Management staff in charge of cleaning satellite gyms is gaining support. Currently, the University outsources cleaning of satellite gyms. The committee is working with Matthew Tsimikas, assistant director of athletics and physical education, to move the project forward, Collins said.

The implementation of LaundryView, the application that would make washer and dryer statuses viewable online, also remains likely, he said, because Richard Bova, senior associate dean of residential and dining services, has consistently expressed support for the project. Collins, Bova and Andrew Tran '11, chair of Residential Council, will meet March 9 to assess the project's priority level.

Noble and Campus Life Chair David Rattner '13 have been discussing potential changes to SafeRide with Transportation Manager Carleia Lighty. They are seeking to install maps on campus indicating SafeRide routes and are discussing the potential installation of trackers in vans so students can be aware of the van's locations when planning trips across campus. The latter initiative will be expensive, Rattner said. Both Harvard and Northeastern University currently use tracking systems.

Rattner and Noble are also hoping to modify SafeRide routes. Students have complained about the inefficiency of the current system, so they said they hope to introduce a shortened route between the Sciences Library, Keeney Quadrangle and Perkins Hall between the hours of 9 p.m. and 1 a.m. The Alpert Medical School's move to the Jewelry District will also affect the redrawing of routes, Rattner said.

Peter Johnson '13, who sits on the Campus Life Committee, is meeting weekly with the management of the Blue Room to improve its services based on feedback collected last semester. He said he is working to increase the number of signs displaying prices and hopes to add variety to Blue Room fare by offering food from various Thayer Street eateries in addition to Kabob and Curry.

UCS will soon begin its spring budgeting process and submit a budget request for next year, UCS President Diane Mokoro '11 announced.