Editorial: All's well that ends well

As reading period approaches, we are all looking for ways to avoid studying for finals, and seniors especially may find the best tactic to be nostalgia. Reflecting over the last year, we have seen Brown evolve in many areas, and we are proud to see most of these changes have been for the better.

The physical face of campus has been updated, and we have celebrated the completion of the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center in Faunce House and the opening of the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Creative Arts. As Brown continues to expand — renovating the Metcalf Chemistry and Research Laboratory, moving the medical school to the Jewelry District, breaking ground for the new aquatics center and seeking to create more on-campus housing for undergraduates — we hope the University will solicit student input and plan wisely to construct high-quality and cost-effective facilities for the Brown community.

Student life is also on the verge of renovation. We are grateful to have witnessed the much-needed growth of the student activities endowment. Coupled with the agenda of the newly elected president of the Undergraduate Council of Students, we expect to see improvements in the way student groups operate and individuals participate in campus activities. Of course, there are some issues of student life yet to be resolved, such as deciding whether to bring the Reserve Officers' Training Corps back to campus and looking for options to relieve the housing crunch. When the new provost Mark Schlissel P'15 takes office, we hope he will give these issues serious consideration.

And just because most students are leaving Providence in a few weeks, that does not mean the current local and state issues will grind to a halt. The summer promises many new political developments worth following. Most importantly, the contentious budget process will move forward for the first time under Gov. Lincoln Chafee's '75 P'14 administration. How the budget gets hammered out will have significant real-life implications — a major component of the plan is a broadening of the state sales tax — and will also set the tone for at least the next few years of Chafee's governorship. By the time we return in the fall, medicinal marijuana will be sold from state-regulated dispensaries, gay marriage might be a reality and a new streetcar system for Providence will be closer to fruition.

We have occasionally been critical in the past months. But looking at the bigger picture, we are very pleased to see how much progress Brown has made over the last year and look forward to more growth in the coming one. We wish the graduating seniors well in their future endeavors and all returning students a safe and enjoyable summer.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.