Letter: Coverage skews success of Spring Weekend

To the Editor:

Recovering from the fun-filled respite of Spring Weekend and returning to our normal lives, it's fun to recap stories from Spring Weekend and read coverage in The Herald. However, it appears that this year the tone in The Herald has been quite different.

Rather than covering the highlights, of which there were many — perhaps the most notable being the surprise appearance by Wyclef Jean — The Herald's Spring Weekend coverage every step of the way gave undue attention to the minority of students who were disappointed rather than to the vast majority who were excited and happy. Are we really the bunch of unappreciative, spoiled, entitled kids these articles make us out to be? I don't buy it. We're the happiest students in the country and know how to enjoy ourselves, support one another and adapt to the circumstances — despite any obstacles or pitfalls that may come our way. Not only does coverage like this paint an inaccurate picture of campus sentiment, it also creates a negative climate for both those involved in planning these events and their many attendees. Why let a handful of complainers dictate our experience? They didn't dictate the experience of the numerous people who could be overheard talking to friends during and after the shows saying how much fun they were having.

Each year presents its own set of challenges when planning an event of this size, and this year was no different. Quite frankly, it is no exaggeration to compare the planning of an event like this to a hurdler running a race — in addition to the eventual excitement and success, it is often a series of unforeseen and uncontrollable obstacles that come your way and that one must clear. I am proud of how our organization handled and overcame each of these hurdles, and, along with other student groups, ultimately produced a successful and fun-filled weekend for Brown.

However, it is clear that for whatever reason, a decision was made this year to highlight and overemphasize what did not go right rather than the many things that did. Looking back, one can notice the write-up about the 2008 concert — one that was also held indoors and faced its own share of noise and venue challenges. Rather than dwelling on these issues, the 2008 Herald made the responsible choice to focus on the experience as a whole — one that its many attendees enjoyed just as students did this year. By choosing to ignore, or misrepresent, the fact that many of the challenges — such as lousy weather, artist delays, ticketing hackers and Rhode Island fire code changes — were out of the control of the event planners, it makes it easy for others to vilify their fellow students who have been working tirelessly, and often thanklessly, to create a great experience for their peers.

In closing, this letter is not intended to be a plea or call for compliments, thank yous or pats on the back for the Brown Concert Agency or other student groups. Rather it is a call for us to return to being the student body that we know we are: enthusiastic, supportive, fun-loving, adaptive and creative problem-solvers.

Keep your chins up, guys! Though I suspect they already are.

Abby Schreiber '11

BCA Booking Chair