Letter: UCS presidents oppose cutting teams

To the Editor:

As proud alums and former student leaders, we were concerned to learn about the proposed cuts presented recently by the Athletics Review Committee that would eliminate the women's skiing, wrestling and men's and women's fencing programs.

The competitive outcomes of these programs speak for themselves with, for example, the fencing team placing in the top 15 nationally in 2011, or the women's ski team qualifying for 10 of the last 10 national championships. But these athletic teams equate to more than just wins and losses on the field of athletic competition. They help tell the history of our alma mater as much as any entity within the University community. As much as we remember enrolling in ENGN 0090: "Management of Industrial and Nonprofit Organizations" with (Professor Emeritus of Engineering) Barrett Hazeltine, gathering on the Main Green with our classmates and enjoying meals at the Sharpe Refectory, we also recall the exhilaration of a big win on the wrestling mat and on the slopes.

These athletic teams and the pride they have given us helped shape our Brown experience, and we would be disappointed if future generations of Brunonians could not experience these wonderful memories. Many of these student-athletes embody the best of Brown and have demonstrated past and current excellence in athletics, community involvement and academic experience.

We respectfully disagree with some of the findings of the Athletics Review Committee. For instance, the report cites "a small number of fencing programs nationally," but it does not take into account the six of our Ivy League counterparts that support women's fencing programs and the five that support men's programs. And while it's a positive development that the Committee recommends increasing the athletic budget overall, we disagree that these funds be primarily directed toward higher coaching salaries. Why not also invest that increase in all 37 of our existing intercollegiate teams, including these endangered programs that have been recommended for elimination?

We know that compliance with Title IX federal guidelines related to gender equity in athletics will influence this decision, and we staunchly support the objectives of Title IX. But we are also sensitive to the pain that these cuts would cause current students, prospective students, alums and coaches and their families.

As former student leaders, we know that these decisions are never easy. But we also know how important these programs are to Brunonians, and we hope that our sentiments are taken into consideration as President Ruth Simmons contemplates the future of the skiing, fencing and wrestling programs.

Rodrick Echols '03, UCS President 2001-2002

Allen Feliz '04, UCS President 2002-03

Rahim Kurji '05, UCS President 2003-04

Joel Payne '05, UCS President 2004-05

Brian Bidadi '07, UCS President 2005

Sarah Saxton-Frump '07, UCS President 2006

John Gillis '07, UCS President 2006-07