The University does not intend to make any further budget cuts in response to the economic decline of 2008 and is moving forward with a number of initiatives including expansion of the School of Engineering and improvement of student residences, President Ruth Simmons told the Undergraduate Council of Students at its general body meeting last night. Simmons responded to student questions regarding the University's agenda and projects.

Simmons did not comment on the recent curricular changes for concentrations controlled by the Watson Institute of International Studies but stressed that the institute's research focus and identity are being reexamined. The University is "legally bound" to an agreement indicating the purpose of the institute that was reached by the Watson family and Brown when the institute was established. Some individuals have raised concerns about the institute's current focus, and its board is currently working with the University to determine what its "specific foci" should be. Simmons said she does not expect these efforts to affect students in the immediate future.

The University also intends to make strides in student housing with renovations beginning this summer. Citing the complicated process of coordinating housing placements with construction and the impracticality of renovating an entire dorm at once, Simmons said the administration is working to gradually improve on-campus housing and hopes students will benefit from the changes within the next few years. The University is currently investigating the possibility of hiring an outside firm that could bring changes quickly and efficiently to campus, she said.

In response to ongoing campus discussion about the possibility of bringing the Reserve Officers' Training Corps back to Brown, Simmons said she is "not at all sure" what might happen. Because Brown is not a "follower," she said she does not believe the decisions of other universities, including Harvard and Columbia, to lift their bans on the ROTC program will affect the University.

"Brown always goes its own way," but the community should consider the idea, debate and ask questions, she said.

Simmons also reviewed the University's response to the economic downturn. At the onset of the crisis, the University faced pressure to immediately cut up to $100 million from its budget, Simmons said. She said she found the proposed cut "very unappealing" and recommended a three-step cut, spread over a three-year period. She said she believed the University could make the necessary adjustments and recover from the crisis with time.

Following $30 million cuts from the budgets in fiscal years 2010 and 2011, Simmons said she does not anticipate additional cuts. "Brown has been very lucky," she added.

The University modified projects that were in progress at the time of the economic crisis to reduce costs. Plans for a new building for the Alpert Medical School were suspended, and the University changed course to renovate the school's existing building. The administration also decided to renovate the Metcalf Research Laboratory instead of constructing a building for the Department of Cognitive, Linguistic and Psychological Sciences.

The University consolidated administrative services but decided to "insulate certain segments of the campus," Simmons said, including students and academic programs.

At the meeting, Simmons also advised the council to focus on communication efforts to elicit donations to the student activities endowment. Stephen Robert '62 P'91 promised a contribution of $1 million to the fund March 10. Simmons recommended UCS develop a marketing strategy to target and persuade potential donors.