Editorial: Alex Morse '11 for Mayor

As the remodeled CareerLAB works overtime to find opportunities for the Class of 2012, there is one option they won't suggest to too many students: Run for mayor.

Yet that is exactly what Alex Morse '11 is doing, running for mayor of his home city, Holyoke, Mass. Last week, just four months after he graduated, Morse defeated three established Holyoke politicians to win the mayoral preliminary election. He advanced to the general election to face incumbent mayor Elaine Pluta, whom he defeated in the preliminary by just one vote.

Call us homers if you must, but we feel that Morse is just the mayor Holyoke needs. Morse would be the youngest mayor in the city's history and has brought palpable energy and excitement to the race. He has been extremely active in the Holyoke community throughout his life and understands the 21st century problems facing his city. During his campaign, Morse has proven his dedication and commitment with old-school tactics — Holyoke pundits cite tireless door-to-door campaigning all around the city — as well as creative and innovative new ones, such as using social media to connect with voters. He has impressed voters with his emphasis on a modern "technology and innovation economy" to revitalize the city, which became somewhat stagnant under Pluta's administration. Fluent in Spanish, Morse has energized the large Latino population in Holyoke, publishing his website in both English and Spanish and delivering his opening statement in the most recent mayoral debate in both languages.

Morse combines an intimate knowledge of Holyoke with the fresh eyes of a relative political outsider. He grew up in Holyoke, went through its school system and was an active member of the community, even while attending Brown. Running primarily on a platform of economic development and education, Morse understands the importance of luring businesses downtown through tax incentives and improving schools to invest in human capital. As the first college graduate in his family, he also serves as an inspirational force for the youth population in the city.  

At Brown, Morse was an urban studies concentrator. He said in a phone interview with the editorial page board that he gained valuable experience in the classroom and in Providence. Morse believes the academic and research experience he gained at Brown made him a more well-rounded candidate. He also noted that his urban studies classes changed the way he thinks about policy and illustrated how issues of education, economic development and public safety are all intimately connected. For three years, he worked for former Providence mayor David Cicilline '83, whom Morse referred to as a mentor. Cicilline recently hosted a fundraiser for Morse in Boston.  

Morse also noted that Holyoke can look at Providence as a blueprint — as it was once a struggling city and reinvented itself primarily through economic development. He recalled watching WaterFire as a first-year student at Brown, noting how Providence has transformed its downtown area into a hub of tourism and economic development. Morse believes he can engineer downtown Holyoke — where he says some nights it is hard to find an open restaurant — into a flourishing and exciting hub of business and tourism.

We hope that come November the citizens of Holyoke will vote for a unique, exciting and committed candidate — Alex Morse.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.